WHIRL (What Have I Read Lately) Books is a site for readers to find books for themselves and their book clubs. Liz at Literary Masters runs book groups and literary salons where we "dig deep" into literary treasures.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

AWOL Blogger: Buried Under Her Books!

Isn't this a great cartoon by Tom Gauld?  What I'm wondering is--how did he get into my house to see my library? :-)

Have you been missing my posts?  THANK YOU!  I'm sorry that I haven't written any recently.  No excuses, just the reality that I've been...READING.  I will try to post at the end of the current Literary Masters season.  I promise!  Meanwhile, let me swiftly bring you up to date with what's been happening with Literary Masters members.

We've been enjoying THE LIST so far!  The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead was a hit all around; even members who found it difficult to read at times still appreciated its worth.  Some of us, including yours truly, loved the fantastical elements in it, which carried truth to the reader in an entirely new way.

Everyone agreed that Rose Tremain's The Gustav Sonata is a little gem of a book.  We found so much to talk about!  I look forward to blogging about that one.  Rose Tremain is a real crafts person; not a word is wasted.  And there is so much beneath the surface!

December was our month for a classic, and we read Graham Greene's The Quiet American.  Every time I read that book, I close it and say "That is SUCH a good book."  Literary Masters members agreed!  And it was the perfect book to read after last season's The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen.  If you're looking for a pairing, this is a good one.

We then moved on to our nonfiction selection for the season: Black Flags: The Rise of ISIS by Joby Warrick.  Everyone agreed--this should be required reading.  Everyone learned a lot and our discussions were intense!

This month we are discussing the most gorgeous novel: The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig.  After a few pages, I sat back, relaxed, and thought "Ah...I am in good hands."  This is "poetry under the prose"--so much so that I reread passages just to experience them again.  I can't wait to "dig deep" into this book with all our wonderful Literary Masters members!

You can always visit the Literary Masters website to see what members are reading--or have read.  When are you going to join a Literary Masters book group?

No comments:

Post a Comment